Winnall Primary School recognises the importance and our duty to Safeguard and Promote the Welfare of Children. The school's policy applies to the whole of the school's workforce, along with volunteers, governors and any contractors working on the school site. In particular Staff recruitment and selection - ensuring that all staff (volunteers etc.) have been appropriately checked for their suitability, using the Safe Recruitment procedures. In addition:
• Raising awareness of safeguarding issues and equipping children with the skills needed to keep them safe.
• Developing and implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse.
• Supporting pupils who have been abused, in accordance with an agreed, child-centred plan.
• Establishing a safe and nurturing environment free from discrimination or bullying, where children can learn and develop happily.
We recognise that because of their day-to-day contact with children, school staff are ideally placed to observe the outward signs of abuse. Staff in schools will therefore:
• Report any inappropriate behaviour / activities to designated staff.
• Establish and maintain an environment where children feel secure, are encouraged to talk and are listened to.
• Ensure that children know that they can approach any adult in school if they are worried and they will receive a consistent, supportive response.
• Provide, within the general curriculum, opportunities for children to develop the skills they need to recognise, and stay safe, from abuse.
• Signpost children and their families to other areas of support e.g. Childline.
DSL: Mrs Jameison
Deputy DSLs: Miss Peckett, Mr Wakefield, Mrs Miles
Designated Governor for Child Protection: Mr Callum Barnes
All staff and adults working in the school, including the school's governing body, are aware of their duties within the statutory guidance 'Keeping Children Safe in Education'. See the link below.
Safeguarding Policies are located under policies (see link below). The governing body carry out visits and monitor our school procedures to ensure our policies are robustly followed by all adults working with and visiting our school site.
If you have a concern out of school time or out of term time - please use the number below:
Hampshire Children’s Services: 0300 555 1384
In the case of an emergency please dial 999
Or complete an online enquiry form - please use the link below:
Please use the links below to find out more information and numerous resources to support parents and carers.